Kerhong's guide on how to stream in 2012

Kerhong's guide on how to stream in 2012

Postby Kerhong » 17 Nov 2012, 05:18

First things first. XSplit is beast of old days, it's outdated and it's bad and it's proprietary.

What you will need:
OBS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproject/). Free, fast, awesome. The version I am using for this guide: 0.432a
Dxtory (you will need to steal this one :() the version I am using for this guide: 2.0.108
Streaming site (on selection later)
Not third world upload speed.

Steaming site selection
The answer is twitch. Really. Own3d is bad and all who stream on own3d should feel bad. They have incompetent development team and twitch is ages ahead of them in every aspect.

Dxtory setup
On top of every dxtory tab there is 'use default setting'. I suggest having all of those checked so you don't need to reconfigure stuff for each game you want to stream (of course you may want to stream some games in lower fps, so you may want to configure each game on it's own, but that's too advanced for this guide).

If you dxtory wants to capture OBS or flash player or something else that you don't want to be captured- you need to click on 'edit profile' (pencil on top of dxtory), select the application you don't want to be captured and press 'add to ignore list' (big red NO sign). (note: this is not preventing the window you ignored from appearing on stream, this is just preventing this window from becoming the source of your dxtory capture).

So settings for each tab:
  • Target
    • There is nothing to it. Just shows your current capture target.
  • Overlay
    • Video fps- shows current ingame fps.
    • Write file fps- shows current capture fps (for providing source to OBS or writing to file (you can also record with obs and/or dxtory))
    • Record status- shows notification icon ingame when the current application is being captured
    • Also you can change colours and position of the notifications
  • Hotkey
    • You can setup various hotkeys here. I have them all unset, as I run dxtory only when I stream and I don't need to turn it off while I am streaming
  • Movie
    • Video codec- Dxtory Video Codec. I haven't tested others, but this is quite fast and quality is 1:1 if required.
    • Clipping- unchecked (disabled) (unless you want to show only part of your ingame screen)
    • Frame rate- 30 or 60, whatever your machine can keep without fps or frame drops. Anything inbetween will look even worse than 30, as some frames will update and some will not (talking about 60Hz screen).
    • Output- DirectShow Output as AVI
    • Option-
      • Include mouse cursor- show mouse cursor (should be disabled on if you have bad cpu/gpu and/or lagg).
      • Synchronize Video FPS- makes your game run at same speed as capture (keep disabled, if your stream can't catch up you don't want your game also losing fps)
    • Scaling- to what size should the capture be scaled. (stream size). Use the 'size' option, not 'percent'
  • Advanced
    • Start Movie Capture when detected- will autostart capture once capturable window is detected (basically- if dxtory is enabled it will capture) (if this is disabled you need hotkeys to start capture)
    • Processing threads- on how many threads to process capturing/encoding. Don't use more than amount CPU cores you have (well you actually can, but because of scheduling and timing it won't increase performance).
    • Leave everything else unchecked.
  • Folder, Audio, Screenshot, Global and Information are not required for this guide.

Now on bottom of dxtory window there is yellow box 'video setting'. There you can configure your 'output' (takes time to start it).
Enter same size as you chose in Movie tab of dxtory and same frame rate. Adjust mode doesn't matter, as you will not need to resize the video.

OBS setup
  • Encoding
    • Quality- how much lossy compression and encoding can be used (less is worse quality, but better performance). Keep at 10, it's not worth losing quality at this step.
    • Max bitrate- how much of upload bandwidth you can afford to use for streaming. This, sadly, is the most limiting factor for most people.
    • Buffer size- memory is cheap. Use max bitrate*2 or 3 or 4
    • Audio codec- AAC is considered to be better than mp3 at equal bitrates, so AAC it is.
    • Bitrate- If you want only voice- 128 will be enough, if you also expect to stream music at decent quality- 192 and higher (320 is preferable).
  • Broadcast settings
    • Mode- Live stream
    • Streaming service- TwitchTV/JustinTV (we already figured out that own3d is bad and nobody should stream on own3d).
    • Play path/Stream key- this is your secret auth key for streaming. Can be found at http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast, there is 'Show key' button (copy the key to notepad first, it has spaces in both ends that you need to delete)
    • Server- Whatever is closer to you by latency, shouldn't use global load balancer (http://support.twitch.tv/discussion/471 ... -read-this for server list so you can ping them)
    • Save to file- save encoded stream also to file (for recording). I would say that it's better to later download your stream from twitch VODs. Uses loads of HDD writing= slow.
  • Video
    • Base resolution- custom (at whatever size you chose in dxtory).
    • Resolution downscale- none. (if you wanted smaller stream you should have chosen the required size in all places, including dxtory so you don't need to resize it twice)
    • Fps- same as in dxtory.
    • Disable aero at startup- this is big one. enable it. Aero is slow, it should be disabled while streaming.
  • Advanced
    • Use multithreaded optimizations- enabled. more multithreading is good.
    • x264 cpu preset and custom settings- there is so much info on x264 encoder in net that I can't tell you best options to use. You should use the fastest you can without having performance problems. I use 'veryfast'.
    • Use send buffer- enable and set buffer size to 32768. Sends less larger packets, saves on tcpip header etc. Buffering is good.

OBS scene setup
  1. Rightclick in 'scenes'
  2. Add new scene
  3. Select the scene (click on it)
  4. Rightclick in 'sources'
  5. Add video capture device (takes a bit to load)
  6. Device = Dxtory Video 1. Resolution changes are not needed, because you chose the proper resolution in dxtory already.
  7. Rightclick the new created source and 'fit to screen'

You can add more sources and more scenes.
Sources can be rearranged by righclick menu. They can be moved with 'Edit scene' enabled (only when you are streaming or 'Preview stream' is enabled)
When you are done setting up your stream you should disable local preview (rightclick on stream in obs and uncheck 'enable view')
Hotkeys for switching scenes can be set up by rightclicking scene.
To capture whole screen (not dxtory, but what you see)- in OBS scene add 'software capture source' and chose the monitor/window you want.

If you drop frames (do as low amount of these as possible):
  • Reduce fps (from 60 to 30).
  • Use different x264 preset/options.
  • Reduce bitrate (only if it's network problem, not hardware).
  • Reduce stream resolution.

My setup
Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 DirectCU

Resolution: 1920x1080 (native), 1280x720 (dxtory/obs/stream)
FPS: 60 (I have ~180fps ingame while streaming)
Encoding: Quality=10, Bitrate=2560, Buffer=5120
Audio: AAC @ 192kbps (should use 256 or more)
x264 preset: veryfast

While streaming I use about 450KB/s (3600kbps) of upload (stream+wow+everything), 15KB/s (120kbps) download.
CPU spiking between 20% and 60%.
GPU at almost stable 60%.

If you have any questions- ask. Someone will answer.

My stream:
http://twitch.tv/kerhong
The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.
Lead Developer

Re: Kerhong's guide on how to stream in 2012

Postby Jpeg » 17 Nov 2012, 05:31

WOOOO!! thanks!

Postby fkdemgirls » 17 Nov 2012, 05:41

Dxtory link with license : http://www.mediafire.com/?dn3c910r6nqtby0
i found french tutorial and the link is from here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XzSXe-3Aoc

Postby victorsen » 17 Nov 2012, 08:42

what bitrate and buffer u suggest with this speed http://www.speedtest.net/result/2313210108.png

Postby Nuriloria » 17 Nov 2012, 12:03

Nice, will try it out later.
Malaco wrote:HAHA are you actually serious? reroll and play a proper comp

Postby ender » 17 Nov 2012, 16:41

Last edited by ender on 05 Feb 2013, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Share this dragon. If you do, lucky end for them and you.

Postby Blushlock » 18 Nov 2012, 14:10

Mh idk, I got

Intel Core i5 CPU [email protected],47 (quadcore)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
16k Internet connection

and I play usually with about 40ms and 60 fps but when I try to setup the stream with 30fps and 1920x1080 my latency goes up to ~400 and I only have 20 fps left... can't play like that :x
Last edited by Blushlock on 18 Nov 2012, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
How to get your own Arena-Tournament shirt can be found on http://arena-tournament.com/store

Postby Treatz » 18 Nov 2012, 14:17

Blushlock wrote:Mh my stream is just black :<

Edit: ok fixed that

Had the same problem, but i also fixed it ^^ Now though it seems my stream is just freezing o.o weird shit

Postby argorok » 18 Nov 2012, 16:14

http://www.twitch.tv/argorokprime/b/341106523

What am I doing wrong? It says that i have 140 fps ingame but its actually 20-30.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 4x 3,0 GHz
8GB DDR3
570 GTX
~2,9 MB upload
"if you have smth like "omg" in your name, you're probably not a good player" - conrad 2013
"you didn't shit how much i fucked" - Mercedesa 2013

Postby Jpeg » 18 Nov 2012, 20:07

argorok wrote:http://www.twitch.tv/argorokprime/b/341106523

What am I doing wrong? It says that i have 140 fps ingame but its actually 20-30.

8GB DDR3
570 GTX
~2,9 MB upload

I've noticed that problems like this normally come from being windowed/not, vertical sync, or aero theme not being disabled. Play with those!

Postby argorok » 18 Nov 2012, 21:38

Jpeg wrote:

8GB DDR3
570 GTX
~2,9 MB upload

I've noticed that problems like this normally come from being windowed/not, vertical sync, or aero theme not being disabled. Play with those!

When I'm running WoW non-windowed WoW is not getting streamed :/.

I disabled Aero now but it doesnt change alot and i also tried to enable/disable vertical sync, but it doesnt help :/.

But thanks for that try ^^
"if you have smth like "omg" in your name, you're probably not a good player" - conrad 2013
"you didn't shit how much i fucked" - Mercedesa 2013

Postby Mercedesa » 18 Nov 2012, 22:08

Treatz wrote:

Had the same problem, but i also fixed it ^^ Now though it seems my stream is just freezing o.o weird shit

how did you fix it?

Postby Treatz » 18 Nov 2012, 23:08

Mercedesa wrote:
Treatz wrote:

how did you fix it?

I bound (in both of the programmes) my "Start Stream" and pressed it, I think :P But now I can't even do that for some reason

edit: now it worked

But my internet is too bad for streaming unfortunately, having like 300 ms :/

Postby Jpeg » 19 Nov 2012, 07:28

argorok wrote:
Jpeg wrote:

8GB DDR3
570 GTX
~2,9 MB upload

When I'm running WoW non-windowed WoW is not getting streamed :/.

I disabled Aero now but it doesnt change alot and i also tried to enable/disable vertical sync, but it doesnt help :/.

But thanks for that try ^^

As strange as it is, I've found that even though my FPS displays that I should be completely smooth, I'm still not. Alt-Tabbing and dragging any windows window (I normally use my web browser) to the top in order to full screen it, then minimizing that window causes the issue to go away in game. This probably isn't your issue but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Postby Tehmaladoi » 19 Nov 2012, 09:07

Hello, thank you for your nice guide, Kerhong...I have one question before trying this out though.
Would I be able to stream with this PC?
3GB ram, 2,2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 ( dual core ), Radeon X1650 series(1GB), 65mb download, 35mb upload.
Thank you for your answer, kind regards Chris.

Return to Off - Topic